Sunday, February 01, 2009

Herbs and Football ?


I tried, but some things just can't be brought together in a fitting manner. I found a few articles on football players who use herbal meds for strength. But nothing that really lit my fuse to expand on...so, I'll stick to what I know and feel comfortable with...for the moment.

The Herb Society of America has named " Bay Laurel" the herb of the year for 2009.

When I lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast I had a bay tree about 20 feet tall...maybe taller.

I planted one about 2 years ago as a project and so far it is thriving and while it has a long way to go to match the previous one, it is beautiful and supplies me with all the bay leaf I need.

Bay is used in culinary and medicinal remedy's.
There are no safety issues with bay, so it's a comfortable herb to have around.

The leaves release their essential oils really well when simmered slowly, as in stews, puddings, and sauces.

Bay is very good used in wild meats such as deer and turkey...

Maybe you will plant a bay tree this spring, they grow rather quickly and add charm to any spot. In the summer they have lovely creamy white flowers that look like small magnolia blooms. And...they smell so wonderful.

Have fun...

Bea kunz

No comments: