Friday, July 31, 2009

August~What's Next...in the gardens



August is often vacation month and the gardens are neglected. If you must be away during this month try to find a friend or neighbor who can check in and keep the last of the crops picked, herbs cut back, and plants watered if needed.

This is the month also to start thinking and planning for the fall/winter and next years garden.

Rosemary, sage and mint can be propagated from cuttings this month.

I just this week removed many of my sage and thyme plants and replaced them with new cuttings. After 3 to 4 years these herbs become woody and don't produce as well as they once did.

We still have enough summer left to promote good growth and stability before the cooler weather arrives. The new plants will be well adjusted by the ending of summer and have a strong start for next year.

Don't forget to use all the excess fruits and vegetables from your garden ( that which is too far gone to share with others.) in your compost pile. Earthworms thrive on these goodies...the more veggies in the compost, the more composting work the worms will do.

My favorite recipe for this time of year:

(Grilled Sweet White Corn)

Start with the number of ears you need, washed and patted dry.

In a small bowl blend enough real butter with ground dried rosemary and garlic powder to baste all the ears.

Place on a hot grill and keep turning as the corn cooks.....don't let it burn.

Grill to desired doneness...I like mine about 20 minutes, depending on the size of the ears. Small, young ones are best for the grill.

Baste again as soon as they come off the grill.

Yummy and enjoy.

Bea Kunz
Sage Hill Farms
EatWell-BeWell~

1 comment:

Angela - Upon Request said...

Wow - I feel pretty good right about now... I've started new basil,rosemary and sage plants...I'm constantly feeding my earthworms...and I've even had a chance to put some sweet corn on the grill. Cool! If only all my lists were this easy to complete ;-)