Friday, August 21, 2009

Cooking Fresh from the Garden~

Matching Method to Ingredient

BLANCH-snow peas, cauliflower, beet greens and dandelion greens.

BRAISE-sweet potatoes, kohlrabi, rutabagas, potatoes, turnips and onions. ( uses a small amount of oil and cooks slowly over time in a tightly covered pan with a small amount of liquid.)

BROIL-yellow bell peppers, portobello mushrooms, leeks, zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes. ( under the broiler range in the oven for a short cooking time.)

ROAST-carrots, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, beets, onions, parsnips and corn.( In the oven on high heat-between 425* to 500* )


SAUTE'-swiss chard, mushrooms, red bell peppers, scallions, bok choy.( On stove top , usually medium heat, slightly stirring to keep ingredients moving and coated in a small amount of oil.)

STEAM-broccoli, mustard greens, spinach, asparagus.
( In a steamer pot on stove top-over boiling water until desired doneness is reached.)

And don't forget to add a dash of dried or fresh herbs to whatever and by whatever method of cooking you are using.

Happy weekend~

Bea Kunz

1 comment:

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Bea,
I am a very scatterbrained person, so I don't remember if I've visited your blog or told you thanks for following me. I'll have to see if I added you to my list. I love growing and cooking with herbs. I enjoyed your description of cooking methods here.