Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Day 16-30 Days of Blogging with Susan Loughrin

My visit and my question was to Jessica Sellers.

Jessica is one of our WIN/RYZE sisters and one of the most "devoted to better" people I know.

Question ( from Bea at Sage Hill Farms )

How and in what way have you added herbs and sustainable practice's to your lifestyle over the past year ?

Has it made a difference?
And, do you see yourself going forward with More additions in the coming year ?

Jessica ( http://www.mailcardseasy.com/)


I have been learning a lot about herbs the last two years, ever since I got a health wake up call of having my gallbladder removed. I have learned that I don't have to be sick and in pain all of the time, and that I don't have to wait for a doctor to tell me what to do. I can listen to my body and give it what it needs. Of course doctors are great at diagnosing illnesses and I am glad they are around. Ultimately, however, I am responsible for my own health..

My favorite herb by far is red raspberry leaf, which is high in iron and other vitamins that are good for me, not to mention that it is very cleansing and alkalizing to the body. I have made a new commitment to drink it every day in a tea.

I have also learned that good food is good medicine and that eating lots of fresh green veggies combats the acidity from the meat and milk and sugar and all the refined junk that I sometimes eat. For example, I sometimes make a green smoothie with an apple, 2-3 sticks of celery, and half a cucumber, and I feel so good after I drink it. Kale and banana and strawberries also makes a great green smoothie. Of course good herbs also make great cooked food and Bea has some terrific mixes.

Now that it is winter and fresh food is getting more costly, I am learning how to do sprouting. I pretty much have a black thumb, but I can handle taking care of something for 3 days, which is about how long it takes to sprout alfalfa.After Christmas I am also going to try growing some easy herbs indoors like chives and mint.

It is wonderful to learn how to take care of yourself more naturally and you may surprise yourself with how good you can feel. Thanks to great educators like Claudia Meydrich, Bea Kunz, Faye Durham, and Dr. Christopher!

I pray that I will always have the freedom to take care of my family and myself the way I see fit. It seems so many people want the government to control every part of our lives, including our health, but the more we educate ourselves and make healthy choices, and the more we can grow our own food, the less control others will have over us, and the more free we truly will be.

Thanks to Jessica for sharing her thoughts and actions...learn more about Jessica and get a peek at the cutest little baby girl by visiting Jessica at her RYZE page and from there check out her blog.

http://www.ryze.com/go/jessilynnc

2 comments:

Inner-Creative-Voice said...

Inspiring! Taking the learning and applying it to her life! Go Jessica!

Heidi Caswell said...

Wonderful! I very much enjoyed reading Jessica's words. I do know that she has been much healthier since she's been taking better care of her body.

Jessica lives too many miles away. I do remember just a few months after she started on this journey, her grandmother commenting to me how much better and healthier Jessica looked.

Jessica is a woman of many talents and an inspiration to all, and she has surrounded herself with some of the best teachers.

Thanks for sharing Bea!