Friday, December 21, 2007

Twenty Four Days of Talk About Herbs and Other Whacky Stuff.

Such as.....being an herb farmer allows one to be a little "whacky."

When I first announced to my family what I had in mind for our farm project, my youngest sister ask in a most concerned tone- if, I was going to be wearing long dresses and funny hats.

I sometimes wonder and always get a good laugh just thinking about some of the assumptions people take liberty with.

Also makes me aware of just how much we never know about others, even those we are close to and feel we are deeply connected to.

This is mainly because as time comes and goes, events and things that were once "important" tend to take a back seat to the newer, the now happenings in our life.

We, as a people, are very good at seeing and hearing exactly what we need and wish for.
We attach and pick out the things that relate to our own needs and desires.

Let me share a few things with "you" about "me" that the average person in my life today doesn't know. Not because they are "secret" but simply because they are not relative to my life as it is today. But...they are all very much a part of what makes me who I am.

I actually love books more than any other "thing" in my life.

At the tender age of 16 I took a Greyhound bus to Hammond, IN., from Birmingham, AL., alone...and I wasn't attacked or molested, or in anyway harmed by the experience.

In my mid teens I was a Still model for a large department store in Birmingham, AL.

I once owned a classic, wooden hull ski boat.....loved to ski, hate the water...figure that one out.

I'm an avid hiker, love hiking the NC mountains.

I have 48 first cousins and 51 second cousins.

I once owned a race horse.

Supposedly, Sitting Bull is an ancestor. ( that could explain a lot)


**Now, some things you may or may not know about "tea" herbal or otherwise.**

Tea Tasting Terms...

Agony Of The Leaves...The unfolding of the leaves when subjected to boiling water.
Baggy...An undesirable taint in the dry leaf, as well as in the liquor of the tea.
Banji...Two leaves without a dormant bud, steril.
Coppery...Bright, copper-colored infusion, which is the sign of a well-prepared black tea.
Blistered...Swollen or hollow leaves that carry bubblelike cavities which result from drying too quickly during firing.
Nose...Aroma of tea.

(A Hot Spiced Tea Punch)

12 whole cardamon pods, or you can use whole Allspice
1/2 tsp whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
4 tbsp Darjeeling tea leaves
4 tbsp White tea leaves
1 bottle (750 ml.) hearty Burgundy
1/4 cup honey

Cinnamon sticks for garnish

In a large saucepan, bring 1 quart plus 1 cup of water and the spices to a boil.
Remove from heat, add tea, stir , cover and steep for 5 minutes.
Strain tea and return to pan.

Over low heat, add wine and honey and warm gently, stir gently and do not boil.

Serve in a pretty punch bowl with small cups.

Happy Holidays-Be Safe.

Bea Kunz
http://www.sagehillfarmsandvintagestore.com/

No comments: